09 August, 2011

Rocky Horror Laser

I'm a Huge Rocky Horror Picture Show fan and I'm part of a Rocky Horror troop. We put on a show three times a year and the one thing that has always bugged me is the prop we use for Riff Raff's Laser at the end of the show. It was a devil's pitch fork with tin foil wrapped around it. So I build a proper laser.

It started, like all good prop builds do, with a few lengths of pipe cut and drilled to size. The main body was 2" and the handle 1". I used copper pipe at the points of the laser.

This was the only really difficult apart of the build. I tired using a bending pipe to get a nice natural curve but without any luck so I was reduced to hammering and bending it by hand. Not pretty but it worked.

I used a container from a kids toy you get out of vending machines at the cap on the end. A screw in cap was used to hold the middle piece in place.

Clay time. I used Milliput on the all seames, the tops of the copper pipes and the dents in this curves to give the whole prop the look of being one piece. Once the Clay was hard I sanded it down smooth.


The lighting bolt on top was a last minutes addon, before I primed the body, as I had almost forgotten about it.

A few coats of primer and Shiny Gold paint later and we have the finished prop ready for its debut on stage.

No comments: