10 August, 2011

Magic Roses

This was a very recent project that I finished and a very personal one. Beingflat broke at the moment kind of sucks. But there was the up side, I decided to created some roses out of Magic the Gathering cards I have for my girlfriend. She is a huge MtG fan and I'm a hopeless romantic.

I decided to make a rose for each of the five colours in Magic, using the mana cards. I cut out three different sizes for the petals. Then, starting with the smallest, I curled them around each other, quite tightly, to form the center. Folding out the other petals to make it look open.

The larger petals were then hot glued into place. I cured the edges of each of the large petals to make sure they had the proper look.

Once I knew what I was doing I cut out, curled and hot glue the four other roses together.

I made the stems out of wood I had at the work shop, painted green, and used green mana cards to cover up the joined between stem and bud.

The base was made from a block of wood that I cut and sanded into shape. This was the most work out of the whole build. Once the shape was gotten I drilled holes for the stems to fit in, going in a curved shape around the front of the base.
And here is the finished product. When I had it finished something was bugging me about the way the rose sat, but I wasn't able to figuar out what till I got home. The huge gaps between each head looked offal so I trimmed down the stems on the upper roses to give them all a nice flowing feeling.



No comments: